Continuing its expansion into private label beverages, Amazon has just launched its first non-Whole-Foods private label brand milk and dairy products.
The new items we are seeing appear to have just been quietly released under the Happy Belly brand, and are currently available only via AmazonFresh. The four milk items are all lactose free.
The new Happy Belly milk and dairy items are:
- Happy Belly Lactose Free 1% Low Fat Milk
- Happy Belly Lactose Free 2% Reduced Fat Milk
- Happy Belly Lactose Free Whole Milk
- Happy Belly Lactose Free Fat Free Milk
- Happy Belly Half & Half
- Happy Belly Heavy Whipping Cream, 16 Ounces
- Happy Belly Dairy Whipped Topping, 6.5 Ounces
- Happy Belly Dairy Whipped Topping, 13 Ounces
In terms of competitive positioning, Amazon says the following on product description pages:
- “If you like Lactaid, we invite you to try Happy Belly”
- “If you like Reddi Wip, we invite you to try Happy Belly”
- “If you like Darigold half & half, we invite you to try Happy Belly”
- “If you like Darigold whipping cream, we invite you to try Happy Belly”
This is not Amazon’s first private label dairy foray in the US. Back in October, we found that Amazon launched 24 varieties of private label cheese under its Happy Belly brand as well. However, it is the first time we’ve seen Amazon-owned brand milk launch aside from its Whole Foods private brands.
Amazon markets its Happy Belly brand in North America, Europe, and Asia. It has launched a number of beverage products under the brand in Japan in particular, including waters, teas, sports drinks, and “vitamin jellies.” We would not be surprised to see Amazon expand further into those categories in the US this year.
We’ll continue tracking Amazon’s private label efforts in food and beverage around the world here at TJI.